Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Meds, Moods, and Foods

Levi has been seizure free since Saturday!!!  I hope this means his steroid treatments are helping and maybe we can start reducing the dosage soon.  The steroids have been rough on him.  He's pretty up and down emotionally during the day and hasn't been sleeping well at night.  But, I've been watching the clock and have noticed a consistency between his moods and his meds which makes me feel better to know that it's not some permanent change in his personality from the seizures. 

Aside from being a bit moody, he's also HUNGRY all the time.  And I mean HUNGRY!!  He just can't seem to get enough food. Our amazing doctor friend said not to let him eat too much and to try to give him only healthy snacks since he'll be wanting to snack all the time.  I haven't been grocery shopping since a week before we were in the hospital so I don't have much to feed him.  But I'm going grocery shopping today and am hoping to find healthy, all-natural, very low-calorie snacks.  I do plan on steaming some veggies, but if you have any other ideas please leave me a comment!  I'm wracking my brain trying to think of stuff and just don't know what to do.   It's so hard to deny your child food when he's so obviously hungry and I don't think I'm doing a very good job at it.  Not that I think we're supposed to completely deny him food when he's hungry, but we do need to keep it very healthy and only until he's just satisfied.

Overall, I think we're adjusting as well as we can to all the medication.  His mood is getting a bit more consistent as time goes on and we'll figure out the food thing.  Most importantly, of course, is that he hasn't had any more seizures!!  We have a follow-up appointment on August 3 and possibly a short phone consultation before that to adjust the steroids (which they will need to be adjusted if he continues on this streak of no episodes!)  So, please continue to pray for no more seizures.  Apparently, there's a chance that if this treatment works, he can go off the meds and continue to be seizure free forever!  I do believe it's only a 30% chance, but I have hope for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment