Friday, May 25, 2012

Table Salt



"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."  -Stephen King

I totally stole this quote from a friend on facebook.  First, this friend, one of my voice teachers from school, has earned the right to post such a quote as I consider him to be very successful.  Patrick Howle is an excellent teacher, an amazing performer, and has one of the most beautiful baritone voices that I have had the privilege to hear.  If you ask me, he's up there with Sam Ramey (whom I have met-just to brag a little).  Why?  He works hard.

The other day, I went to a local production of "Fiddler on the Roof".  It was actually an amazing performance, especially considering that we're a smaller community.  But this small community is one that values the arts and therefore, I got to see a beautiful performance of Fiddler with a Tevye who could almost stand in for Topol.  Almost.  The thing is, as I sat there in those rickety theater seats, I felt like I was home, like I belonged there.  I always do.  Every time I find myself sitting in front of a stage I can't help but feel like I was created to be on the stage.  Don't get me wrong, it's not about getting the lead role and having bouquets of flowers thrown at me as I end a performance with the perfect high C, or D,.... or E. (Though that would be a cool experience)  I'd be happy to be in the chorus, as an extra, just filling in the background and helping to set the stage (ha. literally!) for the actual diva.  No.  It's not about being the center of attention.  It's about doing what I was made to do.  It's about filling an entire room with music that echoes through every body in the room. 

Since I graduated with my bachelors in music degree almost six years ago, I've gotten married, had two children and somehow managed to be just busy and/or lazy enough to lose sight of my aspirations.  I've barely practiced and I have lost a lot of my vocal ability.  I still want to return to school and get my graduate degree, but it's going to take at least a year, maybe two, just to get my voice back into shape and be prepared for graduate auditions.  You'd think that being a stay-at-home mom would leave me all the time in the world, but somehow I manage to just keep up with life and not much more.  How you working moms do it - I don't know. 


Now, I don't plan on abandoning my children and husband to chase my dreams - after God, they're my highest calling and this is my season of Mom, but I do want to be prepared for the next step.  However that looks and whenever it is, I somehow need to make the time and muster up the motivation to work hard and be the best at what God has created me to be - wife and mom first, musician, singer, diva, composer, actor, director - whatever helps me best glorify my God.  I just want it to be worth more than a little table salt.  I want to be worth my weight in gold.  (Which considering my actual weight, could be alot!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment